Recipe : the famous Alsatian Tarte Flambée !
Bacon, cream & oignons.
This simple recipe represents what French people, especially Alsatian people, love the most. So do the tourists that come over to discover Alsace & her gastronomy !
Even though the formula truly is simple, the real “Tarte Flambée” is a scarce resource beyond France’s borders ! Thanks to this easy recipe, you will be more likely to impress your friends and family.
So, what is really interesting about the “Tarte Flambée” ?
The “Tarte Flambée”, for whom? Food lovers who don’t want to cook for hours !
What are the ingredients?
- 1kg 40% White Cheese
- 250gr 30% Fresh Cream
- 500gr Onions
- 500gr Bacon
What are the cooking steps?
- Work your dough so it can become elastic. Knead 5 minutes and let stand for an hour.
- Preheat your oven to 250 degrees and cut the bacon into thin pieces of bacon.
- Slice the onions in small strips and melt them gently for 5 minutes in butter, without coloring them.
- Mix your cheese and cream and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- On the floured worktop, spread the dough very finely in a large round one millimeter thick. Place it on a floured sheet.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture over the dough using a spatula. Then spread the cooled onions, the bacon and water a tablespoon of oil.
- Leave in the oven for 15 minutes.
- The Tarte Flambée should be served crisp.
A little bit of History about the Tarte Flambée
The Tarte Flambée has been created in Truchtersheim, in Alsace, France, a while ago by some farmers that were actually recycling what was remaining from another cooking activity. Imagine a rest of bread, on which people used to add some simple ingredients. Easy to cook and way cheaper than a traditional dish, this activity has spreaded all over the important Alsatian Cities, as Strasbourg, and then all over France, like a wildfire ! The Tarte Flambée is a typical Alsatian dish and is also called Flammekueche.
Obivously, every French dish suits a great French Wine ! For the Tarte Flambée, we recommend an Alsatian Wine : Pinot Gris or Riesling will perfectly suit the Tarte Flambée !
The Old Vine Pinot Gris 2015 or the would be perfect alongside a great homemade Tarte Flambée, you can get them by clicking on their picture !